Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Scene 49

Setting: Valinho (with sheep)

people:
Our Lady
Lucia
Francisco
Jacinta
Joano M.

Sr. L: (offscreen) I was watching the pasture with Francisco and his brother Joano late in the afternoon. Then I felt that something supernatural was going to happen.

(the children are herding the sheep, when Lucia stops dead in her tracks)

Lucia: Uh-oh. The Lady’s coming! Quick, Joano! Get Jacinta!

Joano: No. I want to see the Lady, too!

Lucia: Look. (pulls two coins out of her pocket) I have two coins. I’ll give you one to go get Jacinta, and one more if she gets here in time to see the Lady.

Joano: (holding the coin in admiration) Wow!

Lucia: Go!

Joano: Oh. (runs off)

Francisco: (yelling to him) Tell her the Lady is rushing over!

Francisco: It would be a pity if Jacinta didn’t get to see the Lady.

(The lightning strikes)

Lucia: (to no one in particular) Wait for Jacinta!

(Jacinta and Joano run over)

Jacinta: Where is she?

(The sun dims, Our Lady again stands on the tree. The children kneel.)

(Our Lady looks at the children)

(the children kneel, looking at Our Lady. Joano struggles to look at Our Lady.)

Lucia: What do you want of me?

Our Lady: I want you to continue going to the Cova da Iria on the 13th, and to continue praying the Rosary every day. In the last month, I’ll work a miracle so that all may believe. If you had not been taken away to the City, the miracle would have been much greater. St. Joseph will come with the Child Jesus to give peace to the world. Our Lord will come to bless the people. Our Lady of the Rosary and Our Lady of Sorrows will also come.

Lucia: What do you want done with the money that people leave at the Cova da Iria?

Our Lady: Have two litters made. One to be carried by you and Jacinta and two other girls dressed in white; the other one is to be carried by Francisco and three other boys. The money from the litters is for the Feast of the Holy Rosary, and what is left over will help toward the construction of a chapel that is to be built here.

Lucia: I would like to ask you to cure some sick persons.

Our Lady: Yes, I will cure some of them during the year. (looking sad) Pray, pray very much and make sacrifices for sinners, because many souls go to hell because there are none to pray for them.

(Our Lady again ascends to the east. The sun returns to normal)

Lucia: Look Jacinta! There she goes!

Jacinta: My Lady!

Francisco: (happy) I was afraid we wouldn’t see her this month.

Joano: (rubbing his eyes) I tried to see her, but I couldn’t. My eyes hurt.

Jacinta: Let’s stay here all day!

Francisco: No, Jacinta, Mother did not let you come here today with the sheep. (Jacinta is disappointed) Look, I’ll go with you.

Jacinta: (still disappointed) All right.

(Jacinta and Francisco both go up to the tree and grab a branch)

Jacinta: Smell this, Lucia.

Lucia: The scent of the Lady!

Jacinta and Francisco run one way, Lucia and Joano shepherd the flock the other way)

No comments: